Sunday, April 18, 2010

Money, Society, and the Wool

It amazes me sometimes how something that is taught in a class or in the Services on Sunday's just apply to something that's been happening to me that very week. And maybe not something that the pastor/teacher directly said, but something that just got me thinking.
This week it was dead on.

We started a scratch-off game at work. Simple lottery-type game. Scratch off and if it matches, you win. The associates also play with their own cards. So, of course there is a lot of talk about the big cash prize. $50,000.
I was talking to one of my friends/coworkers (Shelby!) and talking about being tired of being poor. To be all modest, I just said I didn't want to be RICH, just to be comfortable. A good car, a good home, maybe some money put aside for a rainy day. Just so I didn't have to worry about bills anymore.
I realized today how wrong I am.

I Timothy 6:10 "..the love of money is the root of all evil.."
Stay around churches any length of time and you find this taught. a lot.
I realized that I was doing just that. I was thinking that MONEY would make me happy. That if I just had a little bit more, I could breathe a sigh of relief and sleep better at night.
Am I not blessed? Do I not have more than most people in the world right now?
I'm typing this on my new laptop that I was able to buy. Using a connection I was able to buy. I have food in me and I really don't NEED anything right now.
Then why did I say I wasn't happy?
I didn't say it in those words...but I did say "It would be nice to not have to worry about bills anymore..."
So I AM relying on money to make me happy. Christian or not, that's no way to live your life.

Our Society teaches us to live our life to the fullest. Be all you can be. This life is all you have, so grab what you can and don't look bad.
take a look at what's on your TV.
The Apprentice. It encourages backstabbing and throwing people under the bus, and its done under the guise of "Business"... "its not personal, it's just business".
They are pulling the wool over our eyes. Money is NOT what makes us happy! Yes, we need it in the world we live in...but it cannot CONSUME us. Cannot control us like it does.
It doesn't say "Money is evil" but the LOVE of it is.

It scares me to look at my own life and see how concerned with money I am. I should be different. These pieces of paper and numbers on a bank account don't come with me. I'm going to stop placing so much importance on the Almighty Dollar and start placing it on the Almighty.
Can He not provide for me? He has so far. I have no reason to doubt He wont in the future.

Because I know that even if I win this scratch-off and bank $50,000... it wont make me happy. Not truly. I will only want more, and more, and more and more...

lift the wool and take a look around.





No comments:

Post a Comment